AUD210 - Blog 3 - Jesper Kyd

This AUD210 series belongs to an assessment from college.

Taking on a rather different approach, but one that falls into the category of music I'll be referencing in the remix, is the music of Jesper Kid, a well regarded composer mostly known for his work on the Assassin's Creed game. Despite not having found accurate information about how he uses samples in his music, he explicitly mentions in an interview that 90% of the music in one of the Assassin's games were recorded live and the other 10% made digitally. He's got an interesting approach--quite similar to that of Hans Zimmer--, where he interchanges between orchestral and computer music. 

 Image from Google

Image from Google

In one of his interviews, Kyd mentions that creating his own samples has always been part of his composition style. Indeed, practically all of his songs have a unique signature sound that I find hard to compare agains anyone else... probably because I'm an electronic music illiterate...

Jokes aside, for the rest of this post I'll be focusing on the music of Assassin's Creed as it's more related to the style I'm trying to create. 

If you're not familiar with the games, in short, the original Assassin's Creed was developed in 2007 and it mixes fictional characters and events with real-world figures and historical events, which makes the first 4 games extremely fun and interesting to play. The way this mixture happens is by connecting the main character to a technological device called the Animus, which has the power of accessing the character's ancestral history. In regards to music, as the games lean towards collaboration with real life, Jesper Kyd's approach is also a mixture of both realities, so to speak. There are moments in the games where there's a need of being true to the era being portrayed, and others where a digital approach takes over. 

Here are some examples. On the left you'll hear one that's faithful to the Renaissance style, which the second game is based on. On the right, the piece belongs to the digital side of the sequel to the second game. It's got a nice violin at 1:00.


Moving to the piece of music that, to my ears, has obvious use of sampling, is another from Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, the sequel to the second game. Although not sure if synthesis was used to create this piece of music, I would guess that samples were recorded to created the clock ticking-like sound. 

Creating my own samples instead of picking ones from Live's native library is definitely an approach I willing to give a go at the remix. And in spite of Jesper's Kyd style not being exactly the one I'm after, there is certainly plenty of material to reference from.